Hearty Southwestern Pork Stew
- 12 lbs. + 8 oz. USDA Ground Pork Crumbles 100144)
- 3 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 qts + .5 cup large red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 22 lbs cooked, diced USDA Sweet Potatoes (100343)
- 12 lbs + 8 oz USDA frozen whole corn kernels, thawed (100348)
- 1 #10 can Canned tomatoes and green chiles
- 1.5 gals + 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- .25 cup + .5 tsp chili powder chili powder
- 2 tbsp + .25 tsp ground cumin
- 100 bags (.7 oz.) Rold Gold® Heartzels (15940)
- Cooking oil spray
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Boil sweet potatoes. Peel and cut into cubes.
- Cook pork.
- In a medium bowl, toss pork with flour until coated, shaking off excess.
- Coat a large pot with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add pork and cook, in batches, 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned on all sides.
- Add onion and cook about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add sweet potatoes, corn, tomatoes with green chiles, broth, chili powder and cumin.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes, or until potatoes and pork are tender. If stew gets too thick, stir in a little broth or water. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve 1 cup stew with a bag of Rold Gold® Heartzels®. Students can crumble on top or serve on the side. Can also serve with Baked! Tostitos® Scoops
.7 oz. bag Heartzels
1/2 c. stew
|Calories from Fat||61|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||51 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
|Vitamin A||210% DV|
|Vitamin C||28% DV|
Each Serving Provides:
2 oz. Meat/Meat Alternate
3/4 c. Vegetables:
3/8 c. Red/orange
1/4 c. Starchy
1/8 c. Other
1 oz. eq. Grains
For a Fully Reimbursable Meal, Include:
8 oz. FF or 1% milk
1/2 c. fruit